The Old Witch Writes to Artix

Update to the post below - I had a letter back. I will post more about it later. But, it was a really good reply. They do care!

I wrote to Artix Entertainment. I don't know what they will think of my note. Likely they get plenty of people writing about this or that they don't like in the game. They may get annoyed about anyone writing with any complaints. But, I wanted to give my perspective on the game. I tried to put it into words. But, of course, soon after I sent it I thought of a better way to say what I had been trying to tell them.

I want my AQ3D character to look like a woman, not a woman in men's clothing/ armour with skulls and gothic gore sort of stuff. But, I do want a really good axe too, just without skulls and serious looking without being something a cave man would carry.

Here is what I sent, I cut and pasted. (Should you wonder, I am not a 20-something, nor do I play one on TV).

Hello Artix and staff/ community. I do not intend this as a complaint. Today I was getting help from a young man in the camera shop. He had garlic breath and I debated letting him know or not. The old spinach in the teeth thing. I did let him know, politely. He said thanks but I wasn't sure if I should have just left it. He was a great help in the store and I thought it was better to let him know. Anyway, I think this is sort of the same.

I am a middle aged woman playing AQ3D, from the alpha version when it first appeared on Steam. I had been playing long before then, at Battleon with my nephew when he was a little boy. Now he only wants to play League of Legends and thinks AQ3D isn't something or other enough for him. Kind of sad for me, but...

To get to the point, I don't see women players at AQ3D any more. The very odd one but far less than there were. I'm sure there were more younger children too but I haven't come across anyone who seems younger for ages. I don't chat with everyone and anyone. I used to chat with more people in game but most of the players now seem to be young men in a rush to get whatever is new. It has become rare to have that comradery, where players waited for each other, didn't grab everything and run, etc. Not that there isn't any at all. But, it stands out now when it used to be just how things are in the game. I miss it. But, mostly I miss having other women playing the game. It is very male feeling, with aggressive looking armour, accessories, etc. I haven't bought any sets for a long time because I don't want them and the last time I regretted buying one I was told I was stuck with it, no refund. So, knowing that is the policy I became careful about buying anything more. I did buy the whole rose armour set which came out around Valentine's this year.

I wanted to let you know, as a long time player of the game and a supporter from the start, that I am not very interested in playing any more. I looked at MapleStory, which I played ages ago. But, it is still a mess to get it working and then I have no idea where to start even after I find old characters I created in there. I've been looking at other games and eventually I will find something I like. Avoiding the Facebook game type where they limit game play and endlessly ask for money for graphic images that are worthless outside of the game. I am not writing this as a winey letter, though it may sound that way. I think this is like spinach in the teeth where if no one tells you, you just don't know its there. I suspect this sounds like an arrogant sort of letter, assuming you will care what I think. I'm sorry if it does. That isn't what I feel. Your game, you have total control and that is how it should be. I hope you don't mind some perspective from a middle aged woman who enjoys the game and has been glad to support all your work, since Battleon from my web browser. I was excited from the start when AQ came to Steam. I had only just started using Steam then, from the nephew telling me what it was.

Thank you for reading. Again, I don't intend this as criticism, just sharing my perspective. I am not asking for any changes but, if you asked me... I would love some fashions for women characters/ players. And, a cool axe, without skulls and that sort of gothic killer sort of look. Regardless of all the rest, thank you for a game I have been playing for about 20 years I guess. My nephew is almost 24 now so it must be right around 20 years that I first set up an account. :)  Thank you for corny jokes especially. People may roll their eyes but those are still the best jokes and they do stand the test of time.

Take care,

Laura